Thursday, May 29, 2008

Burrata from Philadelphia

The other day I was at Saxelby Cheesemonger, eating a burrata from Philadelphia. Burrata- that's fresh mozzarella filled with fresh cream. It is so delicious, I eat it for lunch!

Next week, Jimmy' s No. 43 will be featuring a selection of very rare Italian beers on draught. I wanted to select a few American cheeses that would pair well with the beers. Other than Parmigiano-Reggiano, the shop (Saxelby Cheesemonger) only carries American cheeses. However, there are a few quality offerings of American made, Italian-style cheeses. There's fresh mozzarella from Alleva in Little Italy, the wonderful Burrata from Philadelphia and a fresh Ricotta from Salvatore in Brooklyn.

One of our favorite desserts is a grilled cheese sandwich filled with this same Ricotta and Nutella. Yummy!! Chef Phillip also adds fresh strawberies to the ricotta sandwiches.

I love Anne Saxelby. Her shop is barely 2 years old, but already I take it for granted that I am on a first name basis with American cheeses like Barick Obama, Timberdoodle, Magic Mountain, and Jasper Hill. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't know any of them. Also, I love her latest blog, about summer cheese and Burrata.<