Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Captain Lawrence Dinner

The NYC Craft Beer Week starts on September 12. In conjunction with NYC Craft Beer Week, Jimmy's No. 43 will create a dinner to complement the beers from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, a local brewer in Pleasantville, NY. This special dinner will take place on September 15.

I had the chance to ask some questions of Captain Lawrence brewmaster Scott Vaccaro (he's the one on the right) in anticipation of the September 15 dinner.

How did you first become involved in brewing?

I became involved with brewing my third year in high school after going over to my friends house and seeing his father brewing on the stove. I asked if he would show me how to brew and that was it for me... I wanted to be a brewer.

What style of beers do you hope to emulate?

I brew beers I like to drink. I will not brew a beer that I don't want to sit down and drink any day of the week.

Are you the pride of westchester?

I sure hope the people of Westchester are proud to have us. I know we are proud to be brewing our beers in Westchester County.

Why is the smoked porter so good?

Because it tasted like beer and smells reminiscent of roasted meats...two of my favorite things.

Thank you, Scott, for your time and for sharing your brewing talents. For further information about the Captain Lawrence Dinner, see the Jimmy's No. 43 website.